Keloid is developed after healing of any injury or wound. It happens due to the excess collagen (a protein) on the skin at the time of healing the wound. Keloids are generally harmless but it looks odd in the skin and damages the aesthetic beauty. There are several effective home remedies for keloids present to easy the keloid scar without visiting the dermatologist.
The fact of Keloids –
- The appearance of keloids is commonly ridged or lumpy.
- This scar increases significantly after the healing process started. This can be often seen after acne or any surgical incision.
- This is not at all harmful and has no bad effects on our health but it might look bad. If anyone feels odd to have that, the surgeon can minimize that scar.
- 10 percent of the scar needs serious attention.
Keloids sometimes appear bigger than the actual wound. The keloids are commonly developed on the cheeks, chest, shoulders, and earlobes. Keloids can develop on any other part of our body.
Other than the cosmetic or aesthetic beauty, it has no bad effects on health. There are different effective home remedies for keloids that have significant effects on those lumpy scars.
Symptoms of keloid
Due to the scar tissue-extra growth, keloids developed. The keloids are sometimes bigger than the actual injury or wound. It takes a few months to grow to its full form.
Followings are the symptoms of keloids,
- A patch with itchiness on around the wound.
- A pink, red or fleshy colored area around the wound.
- A ridged or lumpy formation after the initiation of the healing process of any injury or wound.
- The continuous growth of the scar tissue.
You might feel itchiness, little irritation, tenderness, or discomfort due to the formation of keloids. But it is not at all harmful. The big keloid scar is rare.
If the big keloid develops on the skin, it might restrict the tissue movement of that area.
What causes keloids?
Different types of injuries are the main causes of developing keloids.
- Ear piercing
- Acne scars
- Scars of chickenpox
- Vaccination site
- Surgical incisions
It is found that ten percent of the world population are experiencing keloids. This is non-specific to gender.
It is mostly developed to,
- Latino descent
- Asian descent
- Below the age of thirty years
- Pregnant women
This might transfer from the parents to the kids. If the parents tend to develop keloids, the possibility increases for the kids to have keloids.
This is inheriting through genes. AHNAK genes are the determinant to identify who might have or have not keloids.
According to the research result, people who have the AHNAK gene will tend to develop the keloids. Others might not tend to experience keloids after any injury or wound.
5 Best home remedies for keloids
If the keloids are on the exposed parts of the body, it seems odd to look at. That’s why people generally seek the remedies to get rid of it.
You can go for effective home remedies for treating keloids before visiting a dermatologist. The home remedies for keloids are significantly beneficial to lighten or erase the keloid scars.
Thus, home remedies make the keloids less noticeable. The home remedies for keloids are only effective if you apply to the wound when it starts healing such as getting a puncture, burn, or wound.
According to medical science, the root vegetables have similar functions as effects like aspirin. This restricts certain enzymes to enter the area of pigmentation and tissue build up.
The application of garlic over a certain period helps to lighten the scar.
The way to apply –
- Take out 2 to 3 cloves of fresh garlic and crush
- Apply on the keloid scar and wait for 15 minutes
- Wash the garlic paste thoroughly with regular water and apply skin-friendly moisturizer
- Discontinuity of this process might burn the area
It is scientifically proved that aspirin has a beneficial impact on keloids. Aspirin restricts the scar promoting cells to take the entry to keloid areas.
Thus, the size of the keloids and pigmentation is significantly reduced after the application of aspirin.
The way to apply
- Crush the tablets and mix well with water
- Apply the aspirin paste on the keloids and keep it for one to two hours
- Wash it with enough water
- Repeat this process daily to reach the desired result
According to a few scientific types of research, onion is one of the best home remedies for keloids to treat the keloids.
The onion extract helps to stop fibroblasts. These cells develop scar tissues. The regular use of onion extract stops these cells to enter into the site of injury. Thus it stops or limits the keloid formation.
The way to apply
- Make small pieces of any type of onion
- Take out the juice of the onion by squeezing the onion with help of a clean piece of cloth
- Apply it on the keloid and wait for drying it
- Rinse it with water
- Follow this process for 3 to 4 times to get a speedy and effective result
Honey is a natural effective anti-inflammatory substance. its anti-inflammatory ingredient reduces or prevents the keloid formation. Regular taking of honey also increases the immunity power.
Its impact on keloids is scientifically proven and accepted widely as the home remedy to treat keloid. It has no side effects. This has similar effects on keloids like NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) such as aspirin.
The way to apply
- Take a few drops of pure honey and apply it thoroughly on the keloid (organic honey is preferable)
- Wait to sit it properly on the keloid sites
- Don’t be a miser in applying honey to cover the entire area of keloid
- Apply 2-3 times daily to have an effective result
5. Apple Cider Vinegar:
Apple cider vinegar is a proven remedy and it works wonderfully to reduce the keloid scar and redness. It is one of the best remedies to diminish the scar and the reddish area.
The way to apply
- Take a small bowl and pour the half with the apple cider vinegar.
- Mix the equal amount of freshwater in it.
- Apply the mixture over the scar and leave it for 30 minutes.
- Rinse the area with normal water after that.
How to prevent keloids?
If you find that you tend keloids, you need to focus on the ways not to develop them. You can restrict the formation of keloid by following the below-stated ways,
Ignore cosmetic surgery –
Though in many cases surgeries are essential, you need to avoid cosmetic surgery. Sometimes the surgical modification of the skin causes the keloid.
Avoid pimple popping and skin picking –
Such inflammations are taken place by exacerbations. This can increase the tendency of developing keloids.
Avoid piercing and tattoos –
These are the common causes of developing keloids. That is why think several times before deciding to make piercing or making tattoos.
The keloids are entirely harmless for health. It looks odd from the angel of aesthetic beauty. They are developed from the extra growth of the scar tissues and proteins such as collagen. The appropriate home remedies for keloids are effective to lighten the scars and size of keloids.
If you do not get any benefits from the home remedies, you need to visit the dermatologist. But one thing you to remember, if keloids develop once, the possibility of reoccurrence would be high.
Related Article :